Friday, July 8, 2011

Can't Afford a Canvas Photo Print? Try This Instead!


This past Christmas, the Harmon family got together and took a big ole family picture.  I think we look rather dashing don't you?

Marisa Swarbrick Photography




We have a long wall in our house that creates a "hallway" between the front of the house where the formal living and dining room are to the back of the house where the family room is.  I have high hopes for this wall but it's going to be a LONG work in progress.  Here are some ideas that I have for it.


                       Source: greendoordesignsblog.com via Jordan on Pinterest



I want to create a photo gallery wall, but include other decor pieces as well.

                                Source: ohdeedoh.com via Jordan on Pinterest


Like this!  Isn't cool!  Of course the name would be "harmon" instead of "harper"!


Right now I've got 3 collage frames, 2 big prints, and a decorative trivet on that wall. It definitely needs more pictures and more decor pieces. So, I had some free 5x7 greeting cards from Shutterfly and I took full advantage of them.  I selected some fun pictures and chose pretty decorative borders.  Here are 2 of the 5 that I ordered.


Joann
Then I headed down to Joann to buy some canvas.  I chose 5x7 so that it would fit the card well.


And I painted the canvas tan.



Then I took the Harmon family photo card and cut it in half along the fold.  I placed it on my canvas.  I cut around the border until I had it looking the way I wanted it. Then I spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on the back and glued it to the canvas.


When it dried, I spread 2 thin coats of Mod Podge on top of the picture to seal it and to ensure that the corners and sides wouldn't curl.




And just like that-  a decorative photo canvas!  This only cost me about $5.  The canvas was about $4, the card was free but I had to pay about $1 for shipping, and I already had the paint and the Mod Podge.




After the Mod Podge dried, I hung the picture on the wall. 

Here, you are looking at the first half of the wall.  It's pretty plain, but I'm hoping with a little time and creativity it will come along perfectly.  I'll keep you updated as it changes!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...