Friday, September 9, 2011

Fab Find Friday: Desk Reveal!


So a couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a desk that I was in the process of refinishing.  Well, it's finished! I'm proud to reveal my first ever furniture refinishing project!


Ok, well, I can't take full credit because Justin worked on this project too.  It was a joint effort!


 I found this piece at a garage sale for $10!  Can you believe it?  It was a beautiful desk, but it had A LOT of scratches. 


I got it home, unloaded it from the truck, and it found it's place in our garage for the next few months.  You can see some of the scratches here on the front.



But those scratches don't even compare to what the top looked like! EEK!  Look at that.  I definitely had my work cut out for me. 


I spent a long time sanding (thanks Daddy for letting me borrow your sander!) and got all that old stain off.  The wood underneath was nice and smooth.  I was ready to start staining.


It took about 3 or 4 coats to get the dark walnut stain as dark as I wanted it.  And I think it took 3 or 4 months to completely finish this beauty :-/  Our garage faces West, and it's our only outdoor work space, so I was limited as to when I could work because of the brutal summer we had this year.  But I think it all paid off because now we have a beautiful new desk for our formal living room/office area.


Justin spray painted the original hardware satin nickel from a brass color.  I initially had planned to keep this hardware around only long enough for us to have a little extra money to replace it.  But now seeing how the desk fits in the room, I think it goes with the decor perfectly, especially the settee.  So I think we'll keep it!



Here's another look again.  Before....



After!  

What do y'all think?



Linking to:





Furniture Feature Fridays





5 comments:

  1. Very cute! You did a great job, can't believe it's your first! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I paint furniture, but have not tried re-staining yet. That might be coming up for my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic, and what a bargain. I never find great deals like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Love your hubby's name :-) That's my hubby's name also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I would love for you to share it on my link party this Friday at cookienut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...