Friday, September 23, 2011

DIY Tile Coasters



I've been seeing these tile coasters everywhere and they are so pretty!  We have a couple sets of decorative coasters and I love them both, but they don't really go with the decor of our living room.  So I thought I'd give these diy tile coasters a try and see if I could make some!

I deviated a bit from the directions of the common tile coaster.
  I'm such a rebel. 

Here's what I did:
I gathered up my supplies:
Pretty Scrapbook Paper
Bathroom Tile Squares
Shelf Liner
Foam Brush
Mod Podge
Scissors



First, I smeared a layer of Mod Podge on the back of each of my tiles.



And I pressed my shelf liner down on the Mod Podge.  Make sure it's down nice and snug, no bubbles.  This layer of shelf liner protects your tables from getting scratched by the rough side of the tile.  It also grips the table so the coaster doesn't slip off.  You don't have to use shelf liner.  You can use a felt square or circles, cork or anything else you can come up with.  I used shelf liner because I found it at Dollar Tree and I got more for my money compared to the felt that they sold there.  You gotta pinch those pennies these days!



After the Mod Podge dried, I cut out my tiles.  I had to make sure to really trim those edges good so nothing hung over.


Then I flipped the tiles over and added a layer of Mod Podge to the top.  Now it was time for my paper.  I made sure the design was facing up and I laid it on top of the tile making sure the design was straight.  I smoothed out any air bubbles I saw.


After the Mod Podge was dry, I cut the paper away from each tile and added 2 layers of Mod Podge to the top to seal the paper.  You don't want condensation from your glass getting onto that pretty paper and ruin your hard work!


And there you have it.  A set of new coasters that perfectly match my living room.



My glasses LOVE them!

These are great, small gift ideas.  Think co-worker Christmas/birthdays, stocking stuffers, housewarming and new neighbor gifts!  

And the great thing about these is that they are super cheap to make!  This set cost me less than $3 and I still have paper and shelf liner left over for other projects!

I'll be making another set for fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...