Wednesday, October 19, 2011

DIY Wall Plaque

I love vinyl wall art, but I don't like the price.

$35 Etsy
 Source: etsy.com via Jordan on Pinterest

There are lots of DIY tutorials, but I don't own and can't afford a Silhouette machine.



So I decided to make my own vinyl wall art and I L-O-V-E (no pun intended, ha)  the way it turned out!


Wanna make your own? It's so easy!



I painted the sides of the wooden plaque turning the ugly gold to dark brown.


Then I applied a thin layer of Mod Podge to the top of the plaque.  I wanted to cover up "Welcome to our Ranch."  Not so big on western decor...


So I covered the front of the plaque with the pretty scrapbook paper.


Because my paper was too short to cover the entire face at one time, I had to improvise.  I covered the front as much as I could, let it dry and then covered the other half.  The tricky part was lining up the design so that it would flow nicely and the pattern wasn't too terribly off.


Then I got my brown paint back out and roughly swiped it around the edges to give it a distressed rustic look. 


After the paint was dry, I put the Dollar Tree vinyl wall art on top and Mod Podged the entire think to make sure it was all sealed up and protected. 

Isn't it lovely?



  Do you love my birds?  ::Swoon::  I've loved birds for a long time (maybe cause my nickname is j-bird...ah, old softball days) so I've been trying to incorporate them in the house as much as Justin will let me.  He hasn't said no yet! ;)


 So what do you think?  It cost me less than $5 to make this because I found everything on sale or clearanceI've got a few more of these babies that I'm going to make for different parts of the house.  When I have a chance to get them finished, I'll show y'all how they turned out!


I found a vinyl wall art sticker at Dollar Tree.  Yep, Dollar Tree.  Went to Hobby Lobby and found some scrapbook paper that went with my bathroom and found his wooden wall plaque on clearance. Then I bought some dark brown craft paint.

1 comment:

  1. You can use my Cricut to cut vinyl anytime you want! I usually spend Wednesdays at my Mom's Crafters Retreat (the Elm Street Crafters Retreat in Denton) scrapbooking the day away, you are welcome to join us! :) Email me if you want more info.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...