Friday, August 5, 2011

DIY Dog Pillow/Bed


Sweet little Dexter has been so mistreated.  He's been sleeping in his crate with just this measly old blanket to keep him comfortable. 


He'd rather lay on this old egg crate than that hard crate tray.  Hmmm....my wheels are turning.  I think I feel a project coming on!  I think I'll repurpose this old egg crate and a fleece blanket and make him his own pillow!


I measured the crate tray and cut out 2 pieces of the foam so that they fit snuggly on the tray. 



I needed to cover the foam to keep the 2 pieces together.  Then I took 2 old towels to make a pillow case.  I added a quarter inch to each side of the foam and measured it out on the towel so that I would have seam allowances when it was time to sew it together.  I cut out 2 pieces of the towel, one for the top of the pillow and one for the bottom and then I pinned it together.  It was challenging to sew because the 2 towels together were a little thick, but I think it turned out ok.  I made sure to have the smooth side of each piece of the egg crate facing each other when I slipped the towel pillow case over it, so that Dexter could lay on the cratered side.


I wanted to make an envelope pillow cover so that when the pillow got dirty, I could just slip it off the foam and wash the cover, rather than the entire pillow.  Remember the pillow covers I made for the living room?  Well, I just used that same tutorial to make Dexter's bed.  I used an old fleece blanket that we already had to make the pillow cover out of.  We don't use this much and the fleece is so soft so I thought it would be perfect.


I think he likes it, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...