Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Land of the Free

Forth of July is just around the corner and I've been busy brainstorming on something pretty for my door.  I decided on making a simple wreath.  I was able to get most of the supplies super cheap-it only cost me about $5 to make!  Isn't it cute?!




Here's what you will need...


  • A wreath-any size or type will do.  I found mine at Dollar tree
  • Star garland-found a package of 25 feet at Dollar Tree
  • Patriotic Fabric-I already had some left over from a different project, but raid the remnant bin at Joann and I'm sure you'll be able to find something you can use
  • Red and blue scrap book paper
  • Patriotic embellishment-I found the "freedom" star at dollar tree too!
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam brush
  • Hot glue gun


You will first want to wrap your star garland all the way around your wreath.


Then cut your fabric into about 2 inch wide strips and about 6-8 inches long.  I switched over to my  pinking shears to give the fabric a little more detail.


Tie the strips on to the star garland and the wreath to fill in the gaps.  If you don't have fabric, just substitute 1 or 2 more strands of the star garland to fill out the wreath!


Now it's time to work on the accent pieces.  Find a heart and star template-you'll need 2 different sizes.  Use the larger templates to trace onto some cardboard and cut each shape  out.


Then trace all 4 shapes onto the scrapbook paper.  I used the blue paper for the larger shapes and the red paper for the smaller shapes.



Put a thin layer of Mod Podge on the card board shape and lay the large scrapbook paper shape on top.  It may not fit perfectly so you might need to trim the edges after it's dry. Afterwards, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the back of the smaller shape and glue on top of the large shape.  


I wanted my heart to say something so I type out "USA" in Word, printed it off, and cut out the letters.  You could also use stickers, print directly onto the paper, or use a stencil.  I used the Mod Podge to glue the letters on.  When that is dry, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the entire layered piece so that it seals the paper.


Next, arrange your shapes on your wreath.  Play around with it and decide where you would like to place each one and hot glue them down.



And now it's ready for your front door!  Or your could even display it inside!  

Proud to be an American!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...